Thursday, May 19, 2011

Ron Reyes-Black Flag 1979-80


Ron "Chavo" Reyes tenure as Black Flag's singer was brief but potent, although Keith Morris is still my favorite Black Flag singer, Ron runs a very close second.  His charisma and dry humor in the Decline of the Western Civilization movie is tangible and a highlight of the film.  I was recently reminded of the impression his performance made on me as a kid by Jenny Len's amazing photo book Punk Pioneers: When Punk Was Fun.  Amongst many great photos there's one in particular that really captures my imagination- it's  a Germ's gig where you can see Ron in the audience, dazed, hand in hair, in a beige/gold colored shirt.  The book is highly recommended, and the subtitle is a key theme for me, fun being an increasingly rare commodity.  I'm gonna upload a mix soon inspired by the book.  In the meantime here's Ron and Black Flag in their segment from Decline.

No comments:

Post a Comment