Friday, March 1, 2013

Lashings of Ginger Beer!!!

Peter Richardson, Adrian Edmondson, Jennifer Saunders and Dawn French as the Famous Five (Timmy not pictured)
The Comic Strip was a group of British comedians who found fame in the 1980's emerging from the comedy clubs the Comedy Store and shortly thereafter The Comic Strip. The group included such now well known names as Adrian Edmondson, Jennifer Saunders, Dawn French, Rik Mayall, Peter Richardson, Nigel Planer, Alexei Sayle and Robbie Coltrane.  So fans of The Young Ones, French and Saunders and Absolutely Fabulous and so on please take note.

I recently bought the domestic dvd release of the The Comic Strip Presents which compiles their TV series of said name. At nine discs it's a lot of material, and so I have been slowly working my way through the discs. The stand out so far, which I find myself returning to repeatedly, is the first short film Five Go Mad in Dorset satirizing Enid Blyton's popular children's books The Famous Five.  Having only a cursory familiarity with the original upon which it is based, I find it surprisingly funny, with lots of subtle touches, some that probably sail over my head due to not having grown up with this material, combined with some easily understood broad (but not too broad) humor. I have to say Ronald Allen as Uncle Quentin rather steals the show with his wonderfully dry delivery of lines like (spoiler alert)- "Your Aunt Fanny is an unrelenting nymphomaniac and I am a screaming homosexual"It's all wizard though and has me madly craving ginger beer, heaps of tomatoes, and adventure- maybe even doing something exciting underwater! Hurrah!



No comments:

Post a Comment