Friday, April 19, 2013

No Shame in My Game-1992


Gang Starr's Daily Operation, released on May 5, 1992 remains an absolute pinnacle in Hip-Hop. I remember distinctly my disbelief at the Source's luke warm review. Back in the day I turned many a head on to this one and everyone I knew loved this record at first listen. I converted a lot of my peers to Hip-Hop in the late 80's and early 90's, it wasn't hard considering how the art form was peaking at the time. By 1992 Hip-Hop was pretty much all I listened to, with the occasional foray into My Bloody Valentine, Guided By Voices, Unrest and Pavement (pale face roots).

Hip-Hop's general lack of sentimentality is something I miss and could use more of in my life-sad sack pop music has made me too much of a sucker, a easy mark. On another personal note I get a kick out of how my mom got her Master's degree from DJ Premier's alma mater, Prairie View A&M.  If you don't own this album make a point to get it. A handful of my favorite tracks from Daily Operation follow.  RIP Guru.





No comments:

Post a Comment