Monday, September 9, 2013

My Mind Is Made Up, There's Gonna Be Trouble!

Allen Ginsberg, Gregory Corso and Barney Rosset of Grove Press- mid 1950's
It's surprising how relevant Allen Ginsberg's poem "America" remains. One could describe "America" as more of a series of killer one liners than a poem - hell maybe that's why I like it so much. The best recorded version is the serious plaintive one which I've posted first, but it's interesting to hear the live version, both were recorded in the 1950's, but the latter is delivered more like a stand up routine, with Ginsberg warming up to the crowds' initially hesitant laughter and starting to milk each line to what eventually becomes uproarious laughing and clapping. "It occurs to me that I am America, I'm talking to myself again".


No comments:

Post a Comment