Friday, September 12, 2014

Observatory Time- R.E.M. Live 1985

Cover Star-Man Ray, Paris 1975 (old men often have the best style)
This was the first tour I saw REM on, the Reconstruction of the Fables tour, summer of 1985 before my first year of high school. The concert was at Cullen Auditorium on the University of Houston campus, I was too young to drive, so my Aunt Kay brought me. It was an incredible show! Judging from this and earlier footage I've seen I'd wager that 1985 was REM's peak as a live band. Note the early version of "Fall On Me" and CCR cover "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" performed below.

Fables of the Reconstruction was, sadly, the band's last great album. I wish they would have continued to explore the psychedelic direction of "Feeling Gravity's Pull" and worked more with people like Joe Boyd rather than Don Gehman. Ah well, I suppose it's all part of life's rich pageant and shorty can't eat no books. Also below is the band's first American TV appearance (on Letterman) with Stipe looking for all the world like some kind of Botticelli angel.








R.E.M. in search of Brer Rabbit

No comments:

Post a Comment